Thursday 18 September 2014

The week that was! (Well two weeks actually)!!

So my posts have become a little irregular and for that I apologise. 

I'd slightly lost my blogging mojo. But, after a few people mentioned how much they are enjoying reading my witterings (thank you lovely people, it's nice to know you are out there), I thought I better get back on it!

Anyway, enough of my jabbering on. Firstly an update on my last two weigh ins at Slimming World.

Last week I lost 1/2lb, not as much as I was hoping for but it still took me in the right direction. This week I lost 2lb, which took me to my 3 1/2 stone award. To say I was delighted is an understatement. Each time I get a certificate I pin it on the noticeboard in my kitchen as a reminder of how well I'm doing and how far I've come. It also keeps me focused in moments of weakness, which there can be a few!


Right let me tell you about some of the delicious things I ate during those two weeks.

Austrian Ham and Potato Hash


This recipe is from the October Slimming World magazine. Part of a section on simple, speedy and money saving recipes. This is syn free on extra easy, is ready in about 30 minutes and it claims costs approximately £1.30 a serving.

Basically stir fry chopped onion, garlic, celery and tinned new potatoes in a frying pan sprayed with Frylight for about 7 minutes, until lightly browned. Then stir in chopped canned lean ham, caraway seeds, paprika, grated carrots and stock and cook for another 7 minutes, until the vegetables are tender and most of the stock has been absorbed. We then topped it with an egg fried in Frylight. 

This was really lovely. I like recipes that can be made quickly and use ingredients easily available and usually in the store cupboard. I can see this one being a regular during the cool Autumn/Winter months.

Speedy Carbonara with mushrooms


This recipe is in the new paperback version of the Extra Easy Express cookbook, available from group for £6.99.

This is a much lighter version of a classic Italian comfort food. 

Ready in about 20 minutes and syn fee on extra easy, the combination of pasta, lean bacon, garlic, onion, mushrooms and egg is absolutely delicious. I did find the sound of the egg mixture being added to the cooked pasta a little odd, but it actually tasted really nice, as the heat thickens the egg as it coats the pasta. Yummy!

Grilled Gammon with egg, tomato salsa, chips and peas


This was fab. Lovely griddled gammon, Slimming World Chips, eggs fried in Frylight, a deliciously zesty salsa made with rocket, tomatoes, spring onions and lime and fresh peas. What more do you need?

This meal idea was in the August/September Slimming World magazine, takes about 40 minutes to make and is syn free on extra easy.

Lamb Korma with rice


Again from the August/September magazine, this recipe is great to make double of and freeze, which is what I did. Ideal for those days when you don't feel like cooking, but want something on plan and delicious.

Everything you want in a Korma, tender lamb, tasty vegetables and plenty of curry flavour. Serve it with Basmati rice, steamed green beans and wedges of lime. 

Takes just over an hour to make, but is completely worth it and is totally syn free on extra easy. Perfect!

Mixed Root Vegetable Soup


I bought the Little Book of Soups from group, as I decided that I'd like to start having soup for some lunches and they are ideal to have in the freezer ready for those colder autumnal days ahead.

This was the first one I made and it is lovely and warming, perfect for when it's chillier outside.  I made 4 servings, so I could pop some in the freezer. 

I served it topped with some fat free natural yogurt and a wholemeal roll (healthy extra B) spread with a tub of Philadelphia Light cheese (1/2 of my healthy extra A).

I plan on making some more soups from the book, over the next few weeks, Scotch Broth and Pea and Ham, so I'll keep you posted.

Minted Lamb Kebabs


We had my parents over for tea to celebrate George's birthday and also their Ruby wedding anniversary. We decided we wanted to make something we could all enjoy, so along with plenty of superfree salad and new potatoes, Tim made the lamb kebabs from the Fakeaways book. They went down a treat, even George loved them, Scarlett not so keen, but she's fussy!! And because they're syn free on extra easy you can enjoy as many as you like!

And that's it. Thank you to everyone who continues to support me on this journey, lifestyle change, whatever it wants to be called. I really do appreciate all of the encouragement, advice and nice things said to me. It keeps me motivated and if I can motivate others then I must be doing something right.

Until next time.

Sarah xx








No comments:

Post a Comment