Wednesday 6 August 2014

Fabric Covered Lampshade Craft

A couple of weeks ago I wrote a post about a trip to Ikea George and I had. In it I mentioned a little craft I'd read about using an Ikea Lampan Table Lamp. So here is what I did with it.

This is what you will need:


. IKEA Table Lamp (LAMPAN)

. Some pretty fabric

. Pom Pom trim (optional)

. Fusible webbing/interfacing 

. Scissors

. A pencil

. An iron

. Large piece of paper for template

. Glue Gun

Firstly you need a template of the shade. I found it quite tricky and wish I'd seen this video on YouTube before https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ko_rBN6N7NQ. I allowed a little extra at the end for overlapping the fabric.

Using this template, you then need to cut a piece of fusible webbing/interface and fabric out. 

Following the instructions included with the webbing/interface, attach this using an iron to the back of your chosen fabric. This just makes it much sturdier to work with.

Then position the fabric around the shade and using a hot glue gun fix the overlapping edges together. I've glued it so that the fabric isn't actually attached to the shade and can be slipped off and changed when George grows out of the farm theme.

I thought about attaching a Pom Pom trim, but on this occasion I didn't think the fabric needed it. If I was making one with a different pattern I would maybe add some lace or Pom Poms.

And that's it. Plug in and enjoy. And all for less than £5!

This would make a perfect gift for a little ones bedroom and I am already thinking who I could make one for!

I originally read about and was inspired to make this project here http://www.hearthandmade.co.uk/2014/07/lampshade.htmlPlease take a look.

Until next time.

Sarah xx






No comments:

Post a Comment