Saturday 26 July 2014

CBeebies Birthday Card

We love CBeebies in our household. It all started with Scarlett watching In The Night Garden and Boo! and has now moved onto George loving Topsy and Tim and Octonauts.

Due to their fondness of the BBC channel, we decided that we would send in a birthday card each year to the station, to be hopefully shown on their birthday section. There are no guarantees that the cards will be shown and a couple of times Scarlett's haven't been. But we still put the effort in, just in case!

And this year is no different. George did want a Topsy and Tim card, but unfortunately there are not a lot of pictures of them around so we went for his second choice Octonauts. The challenge has been set.

I try and collect as many of the CBeebies magazines that have the appropriate pictures in, so that I can cut and paste to my hearts content. Thankfully both kiddywinks have accumulated a fair number over the years, so I have plenty to work with.

I try and think of a scene, rather than just stick random pictures around. Probably far too elaborate, you can understand why I get a little frustrated when they don't get shown!

Here are a couple of the previous cards I've made.


When I had a spare few minutes I sat and started cutting out characters and planning how I wanted the card to look.


I decided to do half underwater, half beach, so that I could have a mixture of creatures. Most of it was from magazines, but a bit was some drawing and colouring. 



The next day we popped to Loughborough to get a photo of George printed out. It was quite tricky getting the right size to fit perfectly onto the body of Captain Barnacles. But we got there in the end and I'm really pleased his head fits!

I then cut George's name and a number three out of card using templates I have and it was then time to stick everything down.

And voila. Here's the finished card. I love it and George does too. 


It has to be at CBeebies HQ at least 4 weeks before the child's birthday, so I think I've just made it by the skin of my teeth. As I said earlier, they cannot guarantee all cards are shown, so we will keep our fingers crossed and watch on the day.

If this has spurred you on to make a card for your little one, you can find all the details of what to do here http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies/grownups/help/birthdays

Until next time.

Sarah xx

No comments:

Post a Comment